Friday, June 13, 2008

Why don't I put my head in the sand, too?

The teachers at Castle Park Elementary want to forget about the crime wave that happened there.

I also would forget about it except for one thing: the culture that triggered these crimes is harming students. If it were just me, I'd forget it. The fact is that I witnessed CVESD's culture of teacher politics superseding the wellbeing of children for two-and-a-half decades before I myself fell victim to that culture.

At that time I learned that the problem isn't just small-minded teachers in the classrooms. It turns out that many of these power-hungry individuals have risen to positions of influence in both the administration and the teachers union. It seems that frequently (not always, of course) those who can't teach, administrate or unionize. What else can a poor or mediocre teacher do to succeed? Politics is the only way.

No comments: